(II) Liberalism vs. SJW's (Is this now clear enough?


 Yesterday I posted some verbatim remarks from a commenter on the defunct Camels with Hammers Patheos channel.  Snowflake and Freeze Peach🍑 complained that the wording was "over their heads;" I promised yesterday that I would come back and edit this thing for clarity.  So, here is my attempt at clarity:

👨on SJM: "From my outsider point view (I live in Europe, and American-style "SJW" movements are far less common here), I can see three basic problems with the "SJW" approach (practical if not on paper):

"1. Careless, one-size-fits-all attitude towards challengers: "calling out" a leading politician is way different from targeting a confused, maybe unschooled, and surely angry supporter of his - the former has power, the latter has none; the former has an agenda, the latter probably has none. But treating both the top and the base of the other side in the same way is dishonest, dehumanizing, and it is the best way to make sure the latter keeps clinging to the former.

"2. Factionalism: discussing and calling attention to one's identity (ethnic, sexual or whatever) can be a powerful source of political thought and action, but when labels become more important than shared goals, no progress can be made - I mean, are you really ready to waste time and energy on arguing with me just because I'm not totally embracing (not embracing, mind you, not opposing) your view on some obscure gender or sexual type?

"3. Manichaeism (they’re either with us or against us): the most extreme but logical consequence of point #2 - whenever dogma prevails, whoever isn't 99% on board is conflated with the enemy, no matter how trivial that missing 1% might be -- but this is a great way to make tons of potential, good-willing allies feel rejected, or worse.

"My 2 cents."

Posted by Jennifer A. Nolan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices