The Karen hairstyle

Karens have gotten a bad rap over the last few years. Because entitled and complaining white women have been labeled as Karens. And with that labeling comes labeling certain hairstyles as Karenish.


Totally unfair, right? BUT people DO get labeled by the hair they wear. Only by shallow people you say. Fair enough, that still makes for a lot of shallow people.

Believe me, the long flowing locks I used to wear in my younger years, when I still had hair, were frowned upon by my parents and certain segments of society alike.

And the sign said"Long-haired freaky peopleNeed not apply"So I tucked my hair up under my hatAnd I went in to ask him whyHe said, "You look like a fine upstandin' young manI think you'll do"So I took off my hat and said, "Imagine thatHuh, me workin' for you"

And we know how racism tends to rear it's ugly head when some folks see black people - or even non black people - showing off their dreadlocks.

“I just wish people would stop complaining about hair!” writes a white lady with electric blue locks. “It’s HAIR”, she continues, “do what you want with it no matter what race you are!”. Her comments are consistent with what is known as colour-blind racism. This ideology is based on the assertion that racial privilege does not exist. Unfortunately, not only is this simply untrue, it is also dangerous. It minimises structural racism and ignores issues of under-representation of people of colour. The comments made by this lady (who goes on to report Italian, German, and Scottish ancestry) reek of white privilege. The societal advantage that her skin colour affords means that being told that a decision that she had made could be offensive to other people, seems outrageous to her. This colour-blind, post-racial narrative attempts to erase  diversity and cultural legacy.

I am not sure about that, seems a bit hyperbolic, after all, she does make a good point, hair is hair. On the other hand:

Anti-Black hair sentiment in North America is a centuries-old issue. A survey conducted by DOVE and the CROWN coalition found that 86% of children have experienced race-based hair discrimination by the age of 12.

BUT some people actually use hair as a "statement." Let's be honest about that. My hippie hair WAS a statement.

Just as I find it a statement to wear your hair thusly:

(not me, this is actually Frankie Avalon) 


SO, questions: 

1. Have you ever worn your hair as a statement?
2. Have you ever made assumptions about a person by their haircut?
3. Do you feel this or that style as silly?
4. Or do you simply not care and have never had any thoughts about someone's hair style?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices