Got any scars?

 So....got any scars?


No, not him!   THIS kind of scar:




Just about everybody has some scarring.  It's part of life.  A knee scrape that left grit embedded in the skin.  A visit to the doctor that called for stitches.   That time you got so high you fell down the steps and lay at the foot of the bottom step, giggling.  That kind of scar.

My most prominent scar is from brain surgery (okay, snarky remarks will follow, I know).  I had been diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma, which is, as you might guess, a tumor on the pituitary gland.  Not a small problem;  if left alone, such a tumor will eventually snap the optic nerve, leaving you blind.  Oh, and eventually, it'll kill you, too.  Fun times!

The doctor explained that it could be removed through the nose.  They go groping up your nostrils, cut into the sack surrounding your gray matter, and dissect the little bastard.  But, my doctor warned, sometimes your schnozz isn't big enough, and part of it must be cut away.  This can leave scarring.  

My wife wasn't pleased about that. "Can't that be avoided?" she asked.

"Ma'am," the doctor replied with a certain amount of asperity, "he's got a brain tumor!"

So I went under expecting to come out like this:




And woke up with -- no scars on my face!  Yay!  But I did have a scar, as it turns out.  On my stomach.  They needed to reseal the bag around my brain, and they did it with fat tissue from my belly.  To this day, when people ask about that scar, I tell them it's from my brain surgery.  I think some of them believe me.  

And secretly I wish the doctors had taken the tissue from my ass.  Because it would be SO much funnier.

So--tell us your scar stories!  

AlextheKay



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices