Food Etiquette

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjN7Sp-DwQ4

I came across this video on things you should not do in foreign countries, and it reminded me of something that happened when I was in my late teens.


I had studied French in high school, and I had the opportunity to visit there and stay with the families of some of the foreign exchange students we had hosted. I spent a few weeks in Caen (Normandy) and my host family took me sight-seeing almost every day (they were teachers and had the summer off). We stopped at this restaurant in the absolutely gorgeous countryside. We had eaten our meal, and I was stuffed. Then they served desert, which was some candied fig dish. But I was so full I turned it down. 


We were sitting there talking and finishing up when the chef came storming out of the kitchen shouting “Qui n’aime pas mes figues??” (not sure of the spelling there). I mean, he was furious! My hosts explained to him that I was from America and meant no disrespect. He stopped shouting but was mumbling under his breath as he stalked off. I was wishing the floor would open up and swallow me...


...What are some situations you ran into while traveling? Or what etiquettes have you encountered that you found quaint, or even annoying?


Please share.


Posted by Kelly






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices