Crap my teacher made me read

  Think back.  Schooldays, marvelous old schooldays, when we were innocent and green, our eager minds ready to take in new experiences, new knowledge and old books.  Some of the books were terrific.  Some were merely good.  

And some, let's be straightforward here, some were utter crap.

"But it's a classic!"  Yeah, well, into every life a classic must fall.  And some of those books that spoke to millions had nothing to say to me.   The book that made me want to scream for surcease from boredom started and ended with a goddamn turtle.



This turtle was obstinate!  Never gave up!  No matter what happened, this little sumbitch was gonna cross that road!


Plenty of other stuff happened in this venerable, lovely, inspiring and goddamnunbelievablyBORING classic, but what sticks with me is the freaking stupid turtle!  Yaaaargh!

Yes, of course, I am talking about The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.  A book that hammers every point home with a ball-peen hammer. And just in case you didn't get the metaphor, omigod, here comes that fucking turtle again.


I have never been able to finish a John Steinbeck book since.

So, it's SHOWTIME!  

Tell us the book (or books, I'm easy) that your teacher rammed down your throat!

--AlextheKay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices