A Short Vignette

I am inspired to post this little fantasy setting vignette after reading this post from Roxanna Piedrafuette. I wrote it a couple months ago one morning while feeling inspired by my dreams, as well as thinking about my lovely fiancee. 

I hope you enjoy it.

- Kristen S.

---

Sunshine filtered through the old, warped glass, casting wild waves of light that skittered across the floor in a pale crimson as the rays danced between the tree branches outside. The cool of the morning felt invigorating, giving the day a sense of vast potential, as if anything were possible. It was the perfect kind of day, the kind where inspiration flowed freely, giving energy to inventors, mathematicians, magicians, and writers.

One such writer was hastily scribbling down notes, her mind spilling forth ideas faster than her hands could follow. Words tumbled onto the parchment, telling a story wrought from the essence of romance and adventure! Her heart swelled at each sentence as her characters wove through a world of her own creation, each word solidifying their journey and making it more real to her, and to her potential readers. She was in the flow, reveling in the glory of writing, her cup of tea slowly cooling next to her.

This is where she shined, this is where she belonged! Weaving tales, inspiring readers to follow her on magical quests, and escape from the mundane world.

“Amil taure, what a beautiful day!”

The exclamation broke her from her flow, leaving a line of ink where her hand jumped.

She hadn’t heard anyone come in. The hour was still early, and she was still the only patron here, or so she assumed. Turning slightly, she glanced toward the door, her eyes falling upon a woman, a warrior of some kind. She wore an ornately carved leather vest over a flowing green shirt, slightly worn leather boots, and leggings that left little to the imagination. Hardly the sort of attire to be worn in civilized society, but one that was scandalously eye-catching.

As the woman turned to close the door, Isabella’s eyes followed her long braid up from her hips, shining brown in the mottled light. Her gaze traveled upward, and it became immediately evident that the woman was an elf, her ears coming to a fine point, her jawline a little narrower, her green, almond-shaped eyes…

As their eyes met, the elf strode forward, her grin widening, and Isabella cast her gaze away, staring down at pile of parchment before her. The elven woman was coming straight toward her.

“Well met, beautiful maiden! What fortune graces me this day, as I am met with a vision of loveliness that would overshadow the most dazzling sunrise!”

Isabella looked around briefly, then up to the elf, standing a few close feet away. Their eyes met again, but this time she did not avert her gaze. “Good day to you, fair elf.” She was warned of the charismatic nature of elves, how they could smarm their way into any situation to get what they wanted. She was not fooled by her in the least.

“And a pleasant day to you, lovely lady!” The elf bowed dashingly. “I would be honored if you would allow me the pleasure of your company this fine morning. May I sit?”

Before Isabella could reply, the elven woman deftly pulled up a chair and sat, never losing eye contact. “Ah, a writer! A creative mind to compliment the beauty!”

“Look, I’m rather busy. You caught me right in the middle of a—"

“My sincere apologies! I did not mean to disrupt your flow. I was just not expecting to see such a beautiful lady as I came in to quench my morning thirst. May I see…?”

Isabella dropped her hand over her manuscript as the elf reached out for it. The elf smiled wryly, “Ah, secrets, eh? Might you be writing something… scandalous?” She winked, and Isabella noted that while she winked a green eye, the other was blue.

“Please, it’s… not ready yet.”

“But of course! I’d never dream of reading it without your explicit invitation…” She elf leaned forward, one slender finger touching the back of Isabella’s hand.

The writer pulled away, her face flushing red, “You presume much! I am not here as an object for your amusement. If you would, please just order your drink, and allow me my space.” She could feel the flow of her story rapidly melting away from her mind, and she sighed.

“Of course, dear lady! If that is your wish, I shall take my leave.” She looked a little hurt at the rejection, standing slowly. “But if you change your mind...”

Isabella sighed again heavily.

“… I’ll be outside, enjoying the fresh morning air, listening to the sweet morning birdsong, and basking in the glorious sunrise! It will pale in comparison to your delightful visage, but I shall not allow despair to overcome me.”

Isabella rolled her eyes at the melodramatic elf, but nodded politely, “Enjoy your day.”

“Saira.”

“Excuse me?”

“My name is Saira. Sairavana Solindas, liltamakil an Lairenore.”

Isabella blinked a couple times at the long name. “Saira… Nice to make your acquaintance.” She did not want to appear rude, and to be fair the elf was rather attractive, if brash. She smiled to herself, as she found the dashing personality refreshing.

“And how may I address thee, fairest maiden, weaver of tales?”

“Isabella la Moure.” She stood, and realized she was much taller than the elf. This surprised her some, as Saira seemed much larger due to her confidence.

The elf smiled as Isabella stood, noting the rapier that revealed itself from behind the flow of her skirts. Her brow raised as Isabella’s demeanor had belied her athletic frame. She was not just a writer, but a warrior as well! Saira’s face lit up, seemingly even more enamored, and not as brash.

“My dearest Isabella, I am overcome with delight this day! A lovely lady, warrioress, and weaver of tales, all in one! I would be remiss if I were not to ask you to accompany me, for just one day, so that I might learn what other wonderful surprises may await, hidden behind those sparkling blue eyes!”

Isabella smiled, despite herself. “Saira, you’re brash, pushy, and completely irrepressible.”

“Yes, I cannot deny it, fair lady!” Saira smiled brightly, one brow quirking mischievously.

“Your charms may work on others,” she could not stop grinning, “but to win my interest, you must challenge me, give me cause to seek you out. Thus far you have merely boasted, charmed. I require more.”

“Challenge accepted, dear lady!” Saira bowed again gracefully. “To win your attentions, I shall give you reason to walk by my side, draw you to me with intrigue and seduction!”

Isabella chuckled, “We shall see, fair elf.”

Saira went to the door and turned, blowing a kiss. “Expect me when least expected, my dear wordsmith! It is my dream that we will soon be together…”

As the elf closed the door behind her, Isabella sighed softly. While the day was not progressing as she expected, she could not argue that it was not turning out well. The elf was refreshing, and a beauty! Did that really just happen? Was she propositioned unexpectedly? It was difficult to think. Maybe it was just a charm, a geas…

She sat down again, took a deep breath, and reached for her pen and ink.

Lying on top of her manuscript was a single red rose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices