READING BOOKS

HELLO FOLKS
SNOWFLAKE HERE

I have always been a avid reader, and NO, will never use a Kobo or e-Reader or a tablet - I like the feel and smell of paper.

What I have found odd, is that over the last couple of weeks, I was in the mood to read some Charles Dickens - who, when I was younger, was one of my favorite authors.
I had read just about everything written by him at one time or another, AND I have a habit of keeping books I've read for decades, despite they're turning dull and worn.
SO I dug out A Tale of Two Cities, and Great Expectations, and to my horror, I could not get "into" them:
The prose and old-style English is exactly what used to blow my mind about Dicken's writing, but now I find myself easily bored and prefer books with more "flow."

So I am now in the midst of re-reading some of my favorite John Steinbeck, Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and John Wyndham books.

Of course newer books by newer authors can be exciting too and I could make a long list of great books I have read over the last couple of years by newer authors, but the classics still give me the kind of thrill newer books and authors fail to give me.

Maybe it is in the story telling, there seems to be nothing out there quite like the older authors, but then again, I realize, that is like saying there is nothing out there like the great bands or singers of yesteryear - just a generational thing.

Even kids books aren't the same, I have tried Harry Potter, and never got very far, give me the Chronicles of Narnia any day.

SO - what about the rest of you?

Is reading a passion with you? What or who do you like to read?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices