Financial responsibility ...or... how I managed to buy Christmas presents as a kid

 

Did you have a savings account as a kid?

For several years in a row, I had one of those kinds that was a booklet, called something like a "Christmas Club Savings Book," where you went to the bank with your mom or dad and gave the teller 50¢ of your hard-earned "chores money," and she’d (yes it was always a she, like telephone operators) would tear out the next coupon and stamp the receipt part left in the booklet.  It make you feel grown up, and at the end, if you were committed enough to keep it up, you had something like $25 to buy presents.  Even if you never made it to the last coupon in the booklet, you still had a pretty tidy sum (for a kid) to work with, as you anxiously awaited that December check from the bank, made out in YOUR NAME!  😱

I remember one Christmas I had my eye on a gigantic box of chocolates for my mom.  Now, granted, that was just me channeling myself, knowing I’d benefit too. 😁

So, here are some questions:

-Did you save money as a kid?  If yes, in what way?  (Piggy bank, actual bank account, etc.)  Do you have any stories to go with it?

-Did you get a weekly allowance as a kid?

-Like me, if it wasn’t a good week for dad’s paycheck (lots of bills) did you not get paid?  If yes, how did you react?

Thanks for favoriting and posting!

(by Primal "Russell Stover" Soup)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices