Have your tastes changed?

I’ve noticed that as I have become older (happens to the best of us!) my tastes in music, literature and food have changed even though my political bent is still to the left’


For example opera used to be the most listened to music and I would travel far and spend money to get the best seats at Covent Garden, Canadian Opera Co in Toronto and more. Now I haven’t been to an opera for some years and my opera videos gather dust on the shelves. While I do hear the odd aria (I can play most of the popular ones in my head) I now prefer blues, jazz, some folk and even a little country, mainly because I love Patsy Cline’s voice, her tone, range and phrasing.


I used to read Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, Dickens, Trollope, Eliot and other heavies of the Victorian era, now I read what can only be called trash. I’ve lost the power of concentration. I can still read Jane Austen and enjoy her biting wit and command of English.


One thing that has gone the opposite way, from the popular to, (how shall I put it it, elite?) is my taste in painting. I have always loved looking at the great artists and fortunately, my youth spent in London, I had access to a lot of it. Now In Sudbury, Ontario I have the internet and can see pictures from all places and times. I post a painting(s) with more or less commentary on the Off Topic site every day, just because..


Here's something by a favourite of mine, Anders Zorn.



Anders Zorn. Lapping of the waves. 1887. He excelled in painting water, which was not his only talent.


Enough about me, have your tastes changed over the years? Not just in the way of my examples, they are just to give a taste of what I mean, but in any and all aspects of life.




Posted by This Style 10/6.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices