The craziest girl I ever dated

 Who's the craziest person you ever dated?  



For me, the answer is a girl named Sheila.  I met her at a science fiction convention in St. Louis when I was just 19.  She was 18, soon to graduate from high school.  Sheila was a blue-eyed honey blonde.  She was living  in St. Louis' "Slan Shack"--a commune of science fiction fans.

But what she was doing at a science fiction convention I never knew.  She disdained fiction of any sort.  Fiction was a crutch for those who didn't want to engage in reality, she opined.  She read only non-fiction.

About witchcraft.  

She thought she was a witch.  No affectation.  She really believed it.  She read copiously in spell-books and grimoires, collected ingredients, cast spells.  I remember specifically that she cast a spell of impotence on an old boyfriend.

Looking back, I can't help wondering why she hooked up with a guy who was majoring in Literature. I know why I first hooked up with her.  Hotness personified.  Omigod, was she hot.  And nuts.

She had a tendency to fall to the floor in convulsions.  My mother was an epileptic, so I knew Sheila's convulsions were utter bullshit.  Never called her on it, though.  And once, when we were arrested for speeding (100 mph on the freeway somewhere in Indiana), she went into convulsions on the police station floor.  The cops were so freaked out, they kicked us loose.

Eventually, Sheila was confined in an asylum of sorts.  I had to admit to a certain relief.  I've no idea what became of her after that.

So:  tell us about your nuttiest romance!  Or hook-up?  Or simply a crush!  Share!

   ---AlextheKay in a confessional mood

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices