The Joy of Giving

 We've all grown up knowing a good deed is a good thing.  But we forget.  It becomes a cliché.  But once in a while....

Last week, a friend of mine mentioned, at our daily koffeeklatsch, that his birthday was coming up.  Honestly, I didn't think that much about it.  But the day of his birthday, I happened to be at a Giant Eagle market and passing by the bakery, I suddenly thought, "Hey, why not?"

And I bought a little cake.  And had them put his name on it.


I figured it would be a little treat for the whole gang.  A nice way to start the day.  And a nice surprise for my buddy.  What I hadn't realized was that my buddy, a former Jehovah's Witness, had never had a birthday cake in his life.  JWs don't celebrate birthdays.

Omigawd, how his face lit up!  Sixty years old and at last!  At last!  A birthday cake!  He was so happy.  



Here's the irony:   I couldn't eat any. It's Passover.  I'm not allowed to eat leavened bread.  But I enjoyed it more than anyone else there.

Tell us a good deed you've done or witnessed.  Share the joy!

          AlextheKay learned the joy of giving          


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices