Sidney Poitier

 I find the passing of Sidney Poitier deeply personal. I grew up on Poitier, he was always one of my favorite actors and he was an amazing human being.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/sidney-poitier-dead-actor-civil-rights-activist-was-94-1234906082/

I have seen To Sir With Love so many times I have lost count, for me, my favorite movie by him and the earliest I can remember being introduced to him.

Then came Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner and an absolutely amazing movie - In The Heat of The Night. As far as I was concerned both Poitier and Rod Steiger were deserving of the Academy Award (Steiger getting it).

With the interest those movies generated I soon found myself looking for re-runs of his older movies and soon fell in love with The Defiant Ones, Porgy and Bessy, Lilies of The Field, Blackboard Jungle and A Raisin in The Sun. (The list goes on)

His films:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001627/

Of course, at the time, I wasn't following his activist carrier, but I am now aware of the amazing work he did to advance the cause of Civil Rights. Marching with MLK, meeting Nelson Mandela and even getting to play him in Mandela and De Klerk.

I will miss him. Looking at the list of his movies I have seen just about all of them, some  several times over. 


If you have any fond memories or thoughts, please share them.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices