Nothing goes to waste.......

 There was a common line that went around when I was growing up went something like this:

Eat up all your food, there are starving children in Biafra. 

Anyone else remember this? I even, much to my surprise, found something online about this:

https://startsat60.com/media/opinion/bloggers/nostalgia-starving-children-biafra-humanitarian-brian-pickering

It was not like I even knew where Biafra was or understood how my not finishing my food would benefit the children of Biafra, but the real meaning of that line was clear: waste not, there are those much less fortunate than you.

I only mention this because I have never let anything go to waste. Not because of Biafra, but because of my upbringing. My parents were stingy. So we never tossed half a popsicle away due to our meager allowance.

Now my significant other, Geri, has bad arthritis. She can not squeeze ALL of the toothpaste out of a tube. So I asked her to not throw the unused part out, I could use it. She quibbed about us not exactly being poor so what is the big deal? Nevertheless I continue to use the little bit left after she is done with a tube.


Once a week, sometimes twice, I make a soup from the week's leftovers. I never throw any out.

So, here is your discussion for today: Are you wasteful?
Or do you use up everything, whether food or toothpaste? Are there things you won't toss? 
Do you keep your clothes till old and worn or do you buy new ones once there is a slight mustard stain on your clothes? 
Or are you one of those who doesn't care about the children of Biafra (which no longer exists) and lives a life of luxury where you can chuck half eaten food or half used stuff? 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices