Science... how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. ๐Ÿ’–

I’m just a simple layperson, but I am so thankful for what science has given us, and will give us in the future.  I was thinking about my microwave this morning, when I heated up my remaining coffee for another 10 seconds.  What’s going on in there, in the microwave?  So I looked it up:

Link.

"Now, onto the actual science. What happened there? How does a microwave heat up food?

When a microwave oven is turned on, the microwaves are generated by a device called magnetron, which converts electrical energy into electromagnetic radiation. Once the waves are produced, they are directed into the cooking chamber and bounce around until they interact with the food. The water molecules present in the food absorb the energy from the microwaves and start vibrating very fast. This rapid vibration of water molecules causes them to collide with other molecules and transfer energy to them, leading to an increase in temperature throughout the food."

Q: What (else) does or has science done for you?  E.g., keeps your roots from being gray?  Keeps your teeth white?  Cures your headache? 


(by PrimalSoup)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices