Interesting observations between two brothers

 Did a similar thread on Germaine's channel.

This one will have a different focus though. While visiting, my brother and I tried to avoid talking politics. Nevertheless we did get into a bit of it.

On his 2nd last day visiting we discussed how different - and similar - our homes have become. A year ago I moved from a mid-size town in Minnesota to a mid-size city in Canada. We were amused, but also struck, how similar some things are yet other things so different, between the two locations.

Does it say something about the mindset of Canadians vs Americans, or is it just all a coincidence, or a matter of priorities?

You judge:

We have EV stations popping up all over this city I live in now, whereas my brother tells me that back in my home town there is so far ONLY one EV station and seldom any cars using them. Instead, big trucks and big SUVs are still the primary source of transportation. 

Here, in my Canadian home, we see gay pride signs and posters everywhere. My brother tells me they are scarce back in our home town. 

However:

Back in my old home town there are garbage containers practically everywhere and out of pride, few people litter. Here, where I live now, you are hard pressed to find a garbage container - except in public parks - and there is litter everywhere.

Back in my old home town, and I remember this well from when I lived there, the service in stores and restaurants, coffee shops, etc, was ALWAYS helpful and friendly. 

Here in Canada, the service is indifferent, sometimes rude. 

How can a country have such pride in their towns to have so little litter and garbage containers everywhere yet be so indifferent to climate change that they still drive big trucks and have few EV stations?

The reverse can be asked of Canada.

AND then there are the people. Americans are boisterous. Canadians are quite, almost demure. You don't dare talk politics in the U.S. but in Canada no one hesitates to talk politics though it is seldom at the top of a conversation list. 

I know I can't really ask this question of those who have seldom been outside of the U.S. but will ask it anyways:

What differences have YOU noticed when traveling? Not just between the U.S. and Canada, but the U.S. and any destination you have been to, or for our out of country friends, where you live?

In terms of priorities, attitudes? Heck, take it one step further: what differences, if any, have YOU observed between traveling through one state vs traveling through another?

Have fun with this one. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices