Religion: What is it good for?

Having been rescued from a darker corner of the Interwebs (thanks Susan and Snowy), I no longer get to spout off on my favorite topic as much as I used to. There are things I don’t miss–especially, the crazies and the ones who are crazy enough to try to engage with them. I mean: Are you really going to have a serious argument about whether the earth is 6,000 years old? There’s otherwise sane people out there trying to do that, as if just maybe, this time it will turn out differently from the previous forty.  


But what’s to keep me from bringing it up here? This isn’t polite company! So anon, a little Religion on Snowflake’s forum: 



Multiple-choice Question. Religion: What is it good for? 


  1. It’s a means of approaching the ineffable.

  2. It’s a means of fleecing the sheeple.

  3. It produces social cohesion and fosters relationships.

  4. It gives structure and meaning to an otherwise bewildering existence.

  5. Some, all, or none of the above.

  6. Other: Please specify.


Bonus question: If you disagree with any of the answers above, state your position and provide an impassioned argument supporting it. ‘Cause I believe in all of the above, and I love to argue.


Posted with love: Dan T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices