Skills, learned or self taught

 For this Sunday, I got curious, about what skill sets you have, and how learned or taught.

After taking two weeks to paint our new apartment, and damn, does it look sweet now, I got to thinking how I got here.

Let me explain: If I need plumbing done, I hire a plumber, if I need electrical work done, I would hire an electrician. OR in both cases, used to, now the Super takes care of that.

Never laid my own carpet, or did any carpentry. Nor did any of my own repairs on a car except to change a tire. I never found the knack or inclination to learn how.

But landscaping? It started as a summer job working for a landscaper. Still, most of what I know about trees, plants, bushes, grass, weeding, garden design was self taught. I just loved outdoors and gardening and so took a keen interest in everything involved in landscaping, even laying brick walkways and driveways.

Painting? Entirely self taught, and the hard way. Talked to a lot of paint shops, read a lot of books on painting, later on read a lot online, and painting by trial and error. I became so good at it that I found that in the winter months - when no landscaping was being done - I could work professionally at it. And I was in demand. Basically I am so meticulous that it takes me longer than other painters but I didn't charge more. And to my surprise I found I had the hands of a surgeon, as I could cut a door frame or window frame or along a baseboard without taping. 

BUT. outside of those skills, I found I had little interest or nerve to learn anything else. Even when I had my own landscaping business, my ex at the time was the bookkeeper, I would have been lost without her.

So the question is: What skills did you pick up along the way that you are very good at, and how did you acquire those skills? Someone taught you or self-taught? And are you one of those folks - that I would envy - that is good at everything? Do your own plumbing and electrical? 

Did you use your skills professionally like I did, or are some of your skills used as a hobby or for pleasure?

Please weigh in.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices