How to win every argument

I know the secret to winning every argument. And since this is a friendly crowd, I’ll share it with you. Without further ado, here it is:


Follow these two simple rules:


  1. Only take defensible positions.

  2. If you find you’ve taken a non-defensible position (and you will!), move to a defensible position.


See? Simple as pie!


But not always easy. It takes some practice.




First, of course, let's flesh out what constitutes a “defensible position.” My favorite way of describing it is something I borrowed from somebody, but I no longer remember where I got it: “Be the world’s greatest expert on everything you say.” That might at first sound rather limiting, but it’s not so bad. You are the world’s greatest expert on what
you believe, perceive, favor, and feel. Some examples:


Non-defensible positions:

There is no God.

Racism is bad.

The dress is blue.

We should build more wind farms.


Defensible positions:

I don’t believe in any God.

I hate racism.

I see a blue dress.

I’m in favor of building more wind farms.


Another way of describing this approach would be “radical subjectivity.” This approach has saved my buns more than once. Rather than saying “XYZ isn’t true,” I’ve said, “I have seen no evidence supporting XYZ.” Only to have somebody provide me evidence. In which case I can express genuine appreciation for that person expanding my horizons. 


There’s a lot more to defensible positions, but I don’t want to turn this into tl;dr. So I’ll close by considering: What if both sides of an argument took this approach? What if everybody did so? My answer is, I think both sides would win. I think the world would be a better place. I think we could learn more from each other and demonize each other less. I call that win-win.


What do you think?


This esoteric exercise has been brought to you by Dan T.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices