Workin' hard and hardly working--how many jobs have you had?

 Ah, retirement!  Old and grizzled I may be, but I've earned it.  The other day, I was thinking about how many jobs I've had over the years.  And there were lots.



My first "job" never ended.  I started selling my writing as a freelancer when I was still seventeen years old.  I'm now 68 and still sell an occasional piece.  But meanwhile, I had to earn enough to live on, which ain't easy as a freelancer.

My first "real" job was clerking at a newspaper.  Boring, but good for a summer job between college terms.  Required virtually no brains.  

After that, I got a job as an editor on a national engineering magazine.  In three years there, I went from Editorial Assistant to Assistant Editor to News Editor to Managing Editor to Out On My Ass.

Then I was hired to write the documentation for a nuclear reactor.  Most boring job I ever had in my life.  But also one of the most remunerative.  Hey, did you know that some reactors use activated charcoal, just like Tarryton cigarettes?



In the early days of the home computer revolution, I got a gig with CompuServe  That lasted 35 years, spread to Netscape and America Online, and didn't stop me from doing all sorts of other work.  A perfect job!  I worked from home, ended up running online areas ranging from Politics to Erotic Literature (woo woo!) and made oodles.  And I ended up running Book Features on the nation's largest ISP for decades.

Somewhere in there I also had a gig writing a monthly column for a magazine.

And then I got hired to write horror comics for a relatively short-lived comics company.  That was fun, and I could do a 12-pager in six hours on average.  



And now I sit on my keister and relax!

How about you?  What kind of work history have you had?  AlextheKay wants to know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices