Toil and Trouble

 It's that time of year when things go bump in the night...I love a good chilling tale or two. It is said that some of the most haunted places can be found in Britain and the US....I am sure we are not alone by any means. I suppose I have visited some allegedly extremely haunted places in my lifetime but I have not managed to see anything disturbing, more is the pity. I have chosen two of my favourite haunted sites which I have visited to talk about. The first of these places was the Roosevelt Hotel' in L.A.

 

 

 

 We had booked this hotel, not knowing about the hauntings - it was many years later when I saw it featured on a TV programme for the hauntings there. Opening in 1927 and home to the first Oscars, the Roosevelt was frequented by many celebrities, none other than Marilyn Monroe who lived there in Room 1200 for two years. It is said her ghost still walks the corridors. In Room 928 where he often stayed, the apparition of Montgomery Clift (From Here to Eternity) was blamed for patting the shoulders of guests there. The ghost of Carole Lombard has also reputedly been spotted on the top floors. I would have gone ghost hunting if I had known....when I was there. I can honestly say, the aged almost time warped lobby was very atmospheric. 

The next story features a very scary castle not far from my home...a drive away but not too far. I have visited only once, that was enough. The name of my next haunted place is Chillingham Castle situated in Northumberland UK. 

 


 

Construction started in the 12th century, this Medieval castle was often the scene of many border battles which were extremely violent and the dungeon and torture chamber there will make the blood run cold of the boldest visitor. It is also steeped in Royal history too and has provided a home for great Kings. In 1245, Henry III visited Chillingham as did Edward I, James I and Charles I - shortly before he was imprisoned. Edward VIII used to hunt there and in 1832, King Louis Philippe of France stayed there. 

The real haunting place is the dungeon and chamber...barely lit and filled with wax models of prisoners being tortured there, and below a trap door lies the bones of a child..plain to see. The walls are scratched with lines counting off days and weeks of prisoners who would never see the light of day again. Not surprisingly, Chillingham is home to some of the most paranormal activities in the country. A great many sightings have been reported over the years and their ghost tours are not to be missed.

 Do you have any stories to share of places you have visited or know of, perhaps you have experienced some paranormal activity yourself - this is the perfect time of year to share them.


 

      

  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices