Making jelly and jams

TheTasTy Muscadine The Grape of the South


My sweetie pie and I went out picking Muscadines today. I found several vines with lots of fruit in the woods behind the house. We spread a tarp under the vines and I pulled the vines out of the pine trees. I marked the vines so that we can transplant them late this fall. The vines are normally male or female, only the female vines produce fruit. There are a lot more male wild vines than female. Where we are planning on transplanting them to has plenty of male vines growing already so I only want to transplant female vines.
We washed the fruit and boiled them down for a bit. I used a heavy duty cloth bag to squeeze the pulp of the fruit and extract the juice. We wound up with 32 pints of strained juice.
Tomorrow will be a shopping day for pectin and sugar and jars and lids. I like the jellies I make to be a bit less sweet and have a lot more fruit flavor than what we find in the stores. I tasted the juice and it is a bit tart. The recipes on-line I am finding call for around a 1 to 1 ratio of sugar to juice.
I am thinking more along the lines of 1/2 to 3/4 cups of sugar per cup of juice. Last year we picked wild blackberries and if I recall correctly I added 3/4 cups sugar per cup of strained juice. It turned out very tasty.
Anyone have any advice about making jellies?

Thanks
MMW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices