Jekyl and Hyde

I recall the classic tale of Doctor Jekyl and Mister Hyde: The psychological story of a man living a secret double life, respected physician by day, murderous shadow by night.  


Some years ago I began working in a program managed by a supervisor who was known for having  unpredictable personality shifts. I soon learned the description was true. One week he'd be jovial and communicative and on other weeks he'd be sullen and barking. When in a bad mood he didn't hesitate to  hand down needlessly harsh criticism of staff during meetings, a trait that generated resentment and diminished  overall efficiency in the workplace. We never knew what we were going to encounter.

I minimized contact with him and learned to approach him guardedly because I never knew whether his response with be grin or glower.  I did not savor those years and I was glad when he retired. 

Have you ever had to live with, work with, or otherwise rub elbows with someone like that? Someone who had an split personality or unpredictable shifts personality?

Tell the e_monster about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices