A big lug

 So... lately, my lovely lady, has gotten into the routine of calling me her 

So... I asked her, because I had my doubts, if she really understood what that colloquialism actually means. She told me, so I stand corrected. She knows. She also told me she knows what colloquialism means.

She proceeded to tell me that if I was going to question her knowledge she might have to resort to calling me a big lout instead. And then with a quizzical look, she pondered if I KNEW the difference between a big lug and big lout. I told her the difference, so score one point for me.

While having this conversation, we also mused about how those two terms differ from being called a big oaf. We both recognized that a big oaf is somewhat different from a big lug and a big lout. Where I got stuck is when I suggested that a big oaf is a lot like a big goof. 

She said, not so, they too are different. Upon reflection, she may be right on that count as well. Depends of course entirely on their usage, but there is indeed a subtle difference between a big oaf and a big goof. 

So, I got to wondering, if the wise and sagacious folks who frequent my forum would - without actually looking up the terms - know the difference betwixt a big lug, a big lout, a big oaf, and a big goof?

Have at it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices