The Other Side - by Lance


The debates continue and it seems lines are drawn in the sand.  To mask or not to mask.  To open or stay closed.  The daily stream of memes is becoming nauseating.  My friend list is very diverse so I see it all.


However, there is a side of this ordeal that is going vastly unnoticed.  It's not the death count from the virus itself. It's the human toll of shutting down life.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-deaths-suicides-drugs-alcohol-pandemic-75000/

I consider myself fortunate to have job.  It's one that requires me to have significant contact with people.  In fact, given the recent increase in foot traffic in my store, you'd think life was back to normal.  

Last Saturday was like Black Friday.  
The store was at capacity with a line outside waiting to enter.  We had to direct traffic at checkout lines to ensure proper distancing.  And it went on for hours.

I also have a large group of friends that meet every day via Zoom.  That interactive contact with people is valuable.  For some it could be life saving.

But that isn't really an option for some.  While being so concerned about saving the life of a potential virus victim the life of the person on the edge isnt discussed.  How much has the suicide rate increased?

People have asked me which family member I would sacrifice to open up the Church or allow groups to once again gather in person.  Well, I worry more about the well being of my 85 year old father.  He's home alone, totally isolated.  He cant go to church or participate in Scouting.  He lost my mother, his wife of 60 years just a couple of years ago  and the anniversary of her death was last month.

He's strong and I am thankful for that.  But what about those who aren't?  How many lives can be saved by allowing people to go back to work?  How many lives can be saved in allowing recovery groups to once again meet?  If somebody wants to go to church why not allow it?

Obviously it would be imperative to follow guidelines for safety.  According to the study we could lose as many as 75,000 people from the shut down, not the virus.  Are their lives worth less?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices