SONGS OF AN ERA

 In a discussion I had this week with one of our regulars, we discussed the songs of the 60s and 70s, the kind that used to be called protest songs. Or hippie songs. Or songs of peace. Songs that, as far as I know, are just NOT being written any more.

The discussion came about when asked on Germaine's channel about our initial reaction to the election results, and what came to my mind was:

We'll be fighting in the streetsWith our children at our feetAnd the morals that they worship will be goneAnd the men who spurred us onSit in judgement of all wrongThey decide and the shotgun sings the song
I'll tip my hat to the new ConstitutionTake a bow for the new revolutionSmile and grin at the change all aroundPick up my guitar and playJust like yesterdayThen I'll get on my knees and prayWe don't get fooled again
AH, the good ole days. Everyone was writing songs that were "thought provoking." An era of truly great song writing. Even Elvis got into:
As the snow fliesOn a cold and gray Chicago mornin'A poor little baby child is bornIn the ghetto(In the ghetto)
And his mama cries'Cause if there's one thing that she don't needIt is another hungry mouth to feedIn the ghetto(In the ghetto)
People, don't you understandThe child needs a helping handOr he'll grow to be an angry young man some dayTake a look at you and meAre we too blind to see?Do we simply turn our headsAnd look the other way
And YES, we do! Still. To this day. We look the other way. Disgraceful!
Do YOU have a favorite song from that era, or if YOU know of any songs written in the 80s or 90s or 2000s that match the intensity in lyrics, by all means post them. Lyrics and/or videos would be welcome.
Remember:
The spirit was freedom and justice
And it's keepers seem generous and kind
It's leaders were supposed to serve the country
But now they won't pay it no mind
'Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
And now their vote is a meaningless joke
They babble about law and order
But it's all just an echo of what they've been told
Yeah, there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there watchin'
America where are you now?
Don't you care about your sons and daughters?
Don't you know we need you now
We can't fight alone against the monster



And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?



OK folks, YOUR turn!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices