An election post

 OK, we already have had enough hand-wringing, predictions of dire consequences, and fear over the results of tomorrow's elections to satisfy me for a lifetime.

WE can already predict that CNN will be making excuses, will be predicting gloom and doom, while FOX will be gloating and rubbing our noses in it.

WE ALSO KNOW that should the Republicans lose a few key Senate seats, they will go apoplectic over those losses, demand recounts, promote more stolen election hypsteria.

But none of that is my question of my good folks on here today.

I have questions of a more personal nature:

1. Will you be watching wall to wall election coverage tomorrow night and in the days to come?

2. Will your anger increase over the results and/or let go a big sigh of relief if the Dems don't lose badly?

3. Will you find blame? Maybe blame the other side for their messaging? OR blame our side for disinterest, low turnout, or sitting on the fence?

4. Will your life physically change because of the results - regardless of how it goes? Will you suffer emotionally depending on the results?

I have always been a liberal/borderline leftist (depending on how you define leftist). My political interest was pretty much 0 when I was younger and while I lived in Canada for 30 years I didn't vote in U.S. elections.

When I did vote, I voted Dem across the board except in 2016 when I voted Green, which is a mistake I didn't repeat.

BUT,,,,,,, where people, even in my personal life, have had a grievance with me, is that when elections are done, even an election that made Donald Trump president, I would afterwards shrug my shoulders, get on with my life, but would also vow to do better next time around in motivating my neighbors and friends to turn out the vote.

I have heard, both from online conversations and from people I know in the real world, that I don't seem to get upset enough, not angry enough, that I should be far more upset and angry if the results look bad for Democrats.

That doesn't mean I have turned a blind eye to what is happening south of the border (now that I am back in Canada), I have family and friends in the U.S. I fear violence, I fear voter suppression, I fear the rise in Nationalism, the rise in Anti-Semitism, the rise in intolerance.

But an election loss for what I perceive as "my side" or an election victory against what I perceive to be "the other side" is not going to change how I carry on with my life and live me life. 

So, my answers will be:

1. No, I will listen to the radio for the results, I don't need to see TV personalities either gloating or bleating.

2. My disappointment will increase, my worry about my native country will increase, but I would not call it anger. I will admit however to a HUGE sigh of relief if the Dems don't get spanked badly.

3. I already have found blame for the failed messaging of the Democratic party. AND YES, I am annoyed at how the Right twists everything for political points. But pointing fingers and placing blame only serves as a short-term soother. I rather look ahead. Even though I no longer live in the U.S. looking ahead means suggesting ways the Dems can do better next time. The blame game doesn't have a long shelf life.

4. Well, at the risk of sounding smug, my life won't change physically now that I live in Canada. Will I suffer emotionally, again no, because I am no longer in the direct line of fire. BUT were I still living in the U.S. the answer to both would still be no. Physically I will continue to behave and live my life as before and emotionally I will carry on as I have before. 

Weigh in on the questions I posed if you feel inclined or make any other comment you wish to make about tomorrow's election.

As an aside: I will DEFINITELY be avoiding all right leaning Disqus channels, social media platforms, news outlets and discussion boards.

I prefer to keep my sanity.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices