Okay, Guys. I Need Your Input.

By Kelly

So I interviewed for a job with the State of Oregon yesterday. I'm pretty sure they're going to offer it to me - the manager mentioned twice that there were only two applicants who bothered to read the instructions and include a cover letter, and there are two openings. They hadn't reviewed my skills assessment yet, but that was never going to be an issue. Messing around with Excel and Word are fun to me. 

The position is manning a front desk, assisting the public, opening mail etc. and being part of the unit that serves as the nerve center for Oregon Housing and Community Services. I can earn a lot more, but I just want negative stress, positive pay. Prolonged stress triggers a seizure cluster.

The last question on the interview was one that was really difficult to answer: In this day and age of diversity and inclusion, it seems like a lot of what we see is more lip service than action. This agency deals with people not only in traditional minorities but in other marginalized populations. In this position how can you help the agency give more than lip service?

By marginalized populations he meant things like homeless people and low income.

I could only come up with giving the same attention to everyone's issues and not discriminating against anyone based on their societal status. Which I think you'll agree amounts to lip service. 

I said I didn't see how this position could make sure other divisions were inclusive. He said, "Can't it?" Then he said he wanted me to think about it and if I came up with anything to email him an answer. 

This is clearly a topic that is VERY important to him. (Just fyi he is a white guy probably in his 30's). Whether I get offered the job based on what I have already done or not, I really want to give a good answer. 


So while I put my thinking cap on and surf the net, I could sure use some suggestions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices