What concerns you the most.

 There are those I have discussed political issues with who wonder that I am not as concerned about the political direction of the US as others are, which is NOT to say I am not concerned. I too fear the rise of intolerance, rightwing extremism, using violence and intimidation as a tool.


I just don't see it as the number one issue facing us as Americans OR us as Homo Sapiens.


Granted, which party holds power in the US will determine how seriously my number one concern is taken. Namely, the climate. But since half the countries in the world aren't taking it seriously, and the other half only half-heartedly, AND since the danger doesn't "seem" immediate, many don't get very anxious about the environment. I do.


Listened to a radio program the other day which listed what Americans were most concerned about, and the list was half-assed backwards (in my humble opinion), but clearly an indication of how Americans think. 

In order: the economy, immigration, crime, covid and possible war with China or Russia or both.


Notice: the environment was not on the list. EGADS! So I tried to find some data about what worries the rest of the world. And found covid, which is not the top of the list in the US, is at the top of the list as a world wide concern.

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/publication/documents/2021-08/What%20Worries%20the%20World-August_2021.pdf


BUT AGAIN, environmental issues weren't even in the top five.


So, worrying about the future, especially about the future of the country you live in, can be individual. Namely, what keeps you up at night might not keep me up at night or vice versa.


For me, in order, my concerns are:


The environment

Break down in common decency and civility 

Nuclear proliferation

Covid spread

Social issues: attack on abortion rights, civil rights, income equity, that sort of thing.

The rise of rightwing extremism here in the US

The gun culture

Possible war


The economy doesn't worry me, one needs to adjust spending habits if need be, and immigration doesn't worry me beyond that fact it is being used as a weapon against the Biden administration and Biden could cancel that concern by being more proactive on border issues. Crime is up in some parts of the US, but again, not on the top of my worry list. The gun culture worries me more.


So, now your turn, make YOUR own list, which worries and concerns would be at the top of YOUR list?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices