Fun with punctuation… NOT!

I know holidays are coming and most everyone has their minds occupied with those activities. So, I don’t expect a lot of input here. But here’s something to ponder while you anticipate your upcoming “over-eating to the point of belly pain” event. 😓

I could use some advice/help on punctuation rules for my particular problem areas. (Yeah, I know… just Google it.)  No! I get mixed messages on Google.  I want to know what your learned opinions are.  Seems punctuation rules can be up for debate these days.  Times, like punctuation rules, change.

Here are four problem areas that I wonder about. 

Which of the following is technically correct?


Case 1:

Capitalization

 

For example, is it:

Republican *or* republican  

Democrat *or* democrat

 

I know proper names must be capitalized but I see this label done both ways.  When to capitalize such words, and when not to? 

[Your Answer here]


Case 2:

Quotation marks

 

Is it:

Double quotes [“] *or* single quotes [‘]

 

I see a lot of people use single quotes in their writing. I always use double quotes.  I know that if you have used double quotes, and must further quote something within those double quotes, you then use the single quotes.  For example, the WaPo reported that “Republican Kevin McCarthy said he might ‘hit’ Nancy Pelosi with the gavel, if he gets back in control.”  Everyone laughed. (Yeah, hardy-har-har) 🙁

[Your Answer here]

 

Case 3

The dreaded period combined with questionable quotation marks (double whammy)

 

Is it:

“xxxxx”.  *or*  “xxxxx.”

 

When does the period go inside and when outside the quotation marks?

What about at the end of a sentence, like:

“xxxxx ‘xxxxx’.”  *or*  “xxxxx ‘xxxxx.’”  *or*  “xxxxx ‘xxxxx’”.

           (split)              (period inside)           (period outside)

[Your Answer here]


Case 4:

One or two spaces after the period at the end of the sentence?

 

Is it:

xxxxxx. Xxxxx   *or*        xxxxxx.  Xxxxx

(one space after)             (two spaces after)

 

[Your Answer here]

 

Punctuation nerds, help teach me!  Give explanations if possible.

And hope you all have an enjoyable Thanksgiving! 😊

 

(by PrimoridalSoup)

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices