In defense of poutine

 More than once, when poutine has been mentioned on this thread or that thread, I have gotten a negative reaction from my American brethren. 

I don't get it, I just don't get it. Americans LOVE their fries and gravy, right? SO, that is what poutine is.

With cheese sprinkled on it.

Real Canadian poutine is admittedly particular as to the recipe:

https://thecozycook.com/poutine/

HOWEVER:

The beauty of poutine is how YOU can individualize it. There are places that use turkey gravy instead of brown gravy, use different cheese blends (instead of just curds), and add diced green onions.

Here in Canada where I live now used to be a poutine take out place that due to Covid has now closed. They made a meal out of poutine. Stacked with pulled pork. Or ground beef. They even served a breakfast poutine with bacon and eggs mixed in.

At home, I prefer using peppercorn gravy mixed with shredded cheddar, then topped with genuine Montreal cheese curds. I also don't cook thin fries, but thicker fries, sometimes potato wedges. I don't hesitate to include garlic into the mix either.

So, for the uninitiated and skeptical:

https://sugarspiceandglitter.com/25-unique-poutine-recipes/

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/92340/11-delicious-poutine-recipes-make-home


You can even substitute gravy with Hollandaise sauce:

So, to my American friends, STOP being SO American, and get creative and enjoy yourself a Canadian delicacy! 

😏











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices