Yours, Mine, and Ours…

 


No, I’m not talking about that comedy movie. I’m talking about shared household chores.  Who takes responsibility for what in your household? 

If you live alone, then you are the only responsible person (unless you have maid service).  Maybe you live alone because your significant other has now passed, in which case, I’m truly sorry.  I know reading this OP might even be a painful reminder of your loss.  My heart goes out to you.  I’m not here to bring up painful memories.  I can only imagine your grief.  Again, I'm so sorry.

Question:

So, whether a spouse, significant other, roommate, live in relative, child, even a passed loved one) how does/did it go in your household?  Who does/did what, for the most part?  I’ll go first:

In our house, we’ve nicely divvied up the work.

Me

-Grocery shopping

-Laundry (husband is allowed to do the towels since that’s the only thing I can halfway trust him to do successfully.  I tell him "Don't forget the hand towels, don't forget to put a little bleach in with them."  But, hit or miss. 😞)

-Feed the cats

-Cooking (I cook him supper and he cleans up/washes the associated dishes... almost always 😉).

-Finances (husband used to do it but I took it over last year.  Things are much more organized now.  I got spreadsheets, tax info, receipts, the whole shebang.  I know every penny that comes in and goes out.  He said sadly/jokingly, “Now you can check up on me.”  True. 😁

Husband

-Weekly trash (collect up around the house wastebaskets and take to road for next day collection by trash person)

-Mowing (I do it occasionally but lately he’s done the bulk of it.  It’s on riding lawn mowers, so no biggie, other than time-consuming (big yard!)

-Other outside work (weeding, fertilizing, general cleanup)

-Litter boxes and people toilets (ewww) (Yeah, those dirty jobs) 😱

-Exercises/walks the cats every day, at least an hour every time, usually twice a day.  We live on a big property out in the country and they must be monitored for danger (coyotes, hawks, other predators).  They have location collars but still, we love them too much to leave them unattended.

-Recycle drop-off (plastics, metals, paper)

-Car maintenance (oil changes, wiper fluid, washing … except for gassing up, in which case, whoever gets closest to running out of gas automatically inherits that chore 😉)

Both

-Vacuuming (whoever feels it’s needed the most 😜 )

-Inside the house repairs (other than changing the occasional light bulb or tightening a cabinet latch, or something that doesn’t need a lot of expertise (electrical/mechanical) I know nothing… and I want to keep it that way 😉)

-Probably other stuff that I'm forgetting about right now

I have to admit, I think my husband carries most of the chore weigh around our house.  He’s so good about it compared to some men out there.  Women would kill for a man like him.  Sorry ladies, he’s mine!

So, who does what in your household?  Is it a “fair” household??

(by PrimordialSoup)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices