Best Performance by a Male Actor

 Something a little lighter for today.


Acting.


Everyone has a different notion of what "good" acting is, but I have a list of what I consider superb examples of quality acting.


For this one, I am picking on male performances, maybe another time will do a thread on female performances. (OR maybe one of my other authors will).


First of all, my taste is a bit eclectic and maybe off mainstream, I consider some of the "best" rated performances a bit lame while there were others that didn't get much attention but were nevertheless superb.


The question I ask myself, am I seeing the ACTOR in the performance, or the CHARACTER? That is why I never thought much of John Wayne, he was always John Wayne, ditto for most "action" heroes and many of the comic actors, though on my list is ONE by a comic actor who is a horrible actor (in my humble opinion) but absolutely knocked one performance out of the ballpark.


Here is my list of convincing performances by a male actor:


Liam Neeson - Schindler's list


Richard Burton - 1984


Adam Sandler - Reign on Me


Maximilian Schell - Judgement at Nuremberg


Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler


Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln


Ben Kingsley - Ghandi 


Sylvester Stallone - Rocky (yup, you are reading this right)


Rod Steiger AND Sidney Poitier - In the Heat of the Night


Anthony Hopkins - Silence of the Lambs


Djimon Hounsou - Amistad 


Your list will no doubt be considerably different, so let's have it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices