Do you tip and by how much?

 I have, in my lifetime, annoyed a few people because I tend to tip according to the quality of the service. 

If the quality is poor, I tip poorly, and yes, on occasion, have not tipped at all. However, if the quality of the service is good, I tip generously. 

Apparently, and to me, not surprisingly, many folks I have known have a fixed idea about tipping. It's always the same % and they tip even those not involved in the service industry. Though, in all the years I have been cross-guarding, I have never been tipped, though I have received some year-end "gifts."

Apparently there is even some "etiquette" (supposedly) around tipping. Really? Etiquette to me has always been about whether you believe in etiquette or whether you are guided by your own guidelines. 

Nevertheless:

 Here's how much an etiquette expert says to leave at restaurants, hotels and more

Sitting down for a meal: Always tip 15% to 20% 
Having food delivered: $5 minimum
Sitting at the bar: It depends
When the service is bad: Still leave a tip
When you're traveling,  you should always leave a tip for valets, bellhops, housekeepers and shuttle drivers.

Ok, YOUR turn, do you tip? How much? Who do you typically tip? Etc. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices