The Berlin Wall

30 Years Ago the Berlin Wall came down.

Being of German heritage, this event still stirs emotions in me, but not nearly as much as it did my parents and others of my parents generation who were from Germany.

I remember our family, my parents, my bro and myself, and my uncle's family, all sitting at my parents house in front of the TV watching the event live on ABC news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snsdDb7KDkg&t=1s

My parents, staunch Germans to the core, were not known for emotional displays, but they wept like I have never seen them weep before or since. The effect on me was more on my heritage than any real sense of belonging to Germany (having been born in the U.S.)

I know there is always this "where were you" moment for Americans remembering events like the assassination of J.F. Kennedy or the attacks on the twin towers. Americans can tell you exactly where they were and how they felt. Not a lot that I have met feel the same way about the crashing of the Berlin Wall.
Unless, like my parents, their birthplace was Germany.

So I like to pose a question:

WHERE WERE YOU and what was your reaction during the days the Berlin Wall came down?
Was it an event that even mattered to you?

https://www.history.com/topics/cold-war/berlin-wall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices