In one of my favorite online haunts, Patheos Progressive Christian, a new hero of mine, Darrel Lackey, has posted a couple of pieces, "Pluralism for Me but Not for Thee" and "Providence for Me..."  Here he is on pluralism and why it should prevail:

"Before we go any further, I want to note that, yes, even the scholars who support pluralism recognize the idea in practice has its problems. No serious person thinks it’s perfect or without legitimate shortcomings. However, the great majority also believe the alternative would be far worse and I think they are correct.

"Christian fundamentalists-evangelicals going back to the early 1900s have a strong tradition of apologetics and the idea that in the free-market place of ideas, the best ideas, the true ideas, will prevail. All they needed was a level playing field. All they needed was the same freedom enjoyed by everyone else.

"Did they forget that not only did they enjoy the same freedom, but that their tradition, their Christian faith/religion (if perhaps not their understanding of it) was the majority cultural view until recent times? Their general view of life, their beliefs, their theology/philosophy, and basic views of morality have been the privileged view since the country’s inception.

"Pluralism arose in our modern western world for many reasons. But one of those reasons is that Christians kept killing each other over differing views of what was true or not. 'Truth' seems to get a lot of people killed.

"After the Religious Wars of Europe in the 16th and 17th centuries, people began to realize that a way had to be made for people with differing religious and philosophical views to live in peace with each other."

And here he is on the matter of God's Providence:

"Since the attempted assassination of former President Trump, there has been much talk of God’s “providence” and “sovereign” will. It’s at times like this when one realizes that many people just regurgitate what they learned in seminary, college, or from some pastor somewhere. As I’ve listened to recent sermons and read some of the things posted on social media or media in general, one gets the clear sense many of these people have not thought things through.

"For those claiming God’s providence when it comes to Trump, what are they suggesting when it comes to Corey Comperatore, father of two, who lost his life in those same moments? What about the two other people critically wounded as well? What do those families take from the idea that God’s providence only reached so far that day? Why is it that when it’s someone we know, or something we support/like/admire who escapes a brush with death/tragedy we claim God’s providence, but for the rest, it’s just mindless tough luck?

"How do we suppose that makes those families feel?

"Where was God’s providence in all the school shootings over the past decades? Where was it when President Kennedy was assassinated? One begins to get the feeling this talk of providence is self-fulfilling and more a reflection of our own wants and desires rather than a deep understanding of God’s moving or purposes. Our pronouncements seem a bit too self-serving in my mind. They invariably leave others out and make God out to be someone who plays favorites or is no more predictable than a tornado or random bullet.

"Let’s say I’m the fire chief. I’m sitting up in my tower over the fire station and I can see the entire town. I notice someone setting fire to a house. I think to myself, this isn’t good but I will permit it—that’s my permissive will. I have my reasons. I look toward another part of town. I see a person setting fire to a different house. I decide to prevent that house from burning. That is my perfect will. In that case, I intervene. I have my reasons.

"One might object- but you are comparing an imperfect sinful man with a perfect God. I grant the difference but such an observation misses the point. It’s not a problem of scale. It’s a problem of moral reasoning no matter the flaws or perfections of each, given the power to act. First, I wonder why we accept in God what we would never accept in a mere person as to acting or not acting. Second, unless capricious the reasons must have something to do with a supposed greater good, but if purchased at such a cost, one has to wonder about such a “good.” I suspect the person whose house burned down (or who lost a loved one) might have some questions.

"When we think of a person doing what the fire chief does, we realize how crazy it sounds. For some reason though, if it’s God, we build an entire theology of glory around it. And we don’t do it saying God is just arbitrary or random although perfect. No, we say it was God’s “permissive” will, which means it was God’s will nonetheless. We probably do this so we can sleep at night knowing we’ve created a God who may just be the devil."

Posted by Jennifer A. Nolan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices