Talkin' 'bout My Generation!

I'm a Baby Boomer.  Born in 1952, grew to adulthood in the sixties and early seventies.  I was a hippie, a protester, a liberal.  I did lots and lots of drugs.  I wasn't a draft-dodger because I was genuinely 4-F, but I might have been otherwise.  My hair was long enough to reach halfway between my shoulders and my hips.  I wore tie-dye and patchwork jeans.  I didn't make it to Woodstock, but here's what my generation looked like.



And I'm somewhat of a poster child for how my generation was perceived then, and is still depicted now.  But you know what?  That's all bullshit.

Most of my generation didn't protest the war in Viet Nam.  Most of my generation never dropped acid.  Most of my generation's men had relatively long hair, but not hair you could make into a decent ponytail.   Mostly shoulder-length, if that.

What made me think of this?  The latest clamor about how The Youth Vote will change everything.
Well, I'm not holding my breath.  Most of my generation voted for Nixon if they voted at all.  (We first got the vote in 1972.)

Well, the Millennials are now grown, and the generation after theirs is graduating college.  They're not all ne'er-do-wells. They're not all in mom's basement.  They're not all atheists.  Most of them are straight.  Maybe they're less prejudiced than we were.  We'll see.   But I don't buy those media depictions.

Think back.  How was your generation depicted?  Did the depiction fit you?  How about your friends? 



             Let's have some straight talk about our generations! --AlextheKay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Uplifting Tweet You Just Shared? A Russian Troll Sent It

The Nightmare Scenario That Keeps Election Lawyers Up At Night -- And Could Hand Trump A Second Term

Philosophical Question #14 – Lifestyle Choices